Hi Pantzer smile

I like your plan for now!!

My DS6 has very high functioning Autism. Met all his milestones early, then regressed. Continues to be advanced, especially academically, but has some Pragmatic Speech issues. They aren't severe enough to draw attention, mostly in "self advocacy" are where he shows the most deficit- from dealing with a bully, to speaking up for himself with a teacher etc...

I know that some parents choose the special ed preschool programs, and I know kiddo's who've thrived in them, and it was most definitely a good choice for them their parents feel. You have to take into account where your child is at developmentally, what he will get out of it, both positives and negatives, and go from there. What is right for child, isn't (maybe) appropriate at all for another. Such an individual decision.

Navigating the Schools is a learning process for sure! It took awhile but I realized that I had right to refuse a placement, and I did refuse- the kids were at a much lower level than my child, and it would be more harmful than helpful for DS to attend- the teacher agreed- DS himself asked what was wrong with all the kids- So the district still gave him his needed ST, and even a Social Skills group- funny sidenote--- this group consisted of 4-5 Spanish speaking NeuroTypical (NTs) 5-6yo kids(DS was 3)- who were learning English LOL, Parents req'd to attend and be "taught" how to encourage their kids to speak more. I was not thrilled with it, but did see it as a way for him to also learn some social diversity, and the kids seemed to be his academic peers.

During this time he was also in an outside ST & OT program.

He belonged to a playgroup, all neurotypical kids, so he was developing his social skills with NTs! For me, this was of key importantance!!! How can he learn social skills if the kids are nonverbal, hitting, acting out, developmentally delayed? (DS has never had any behavioral issues)

I believed strongly DS needed NT peers to model after. I believe all kids do. It sounds to me, like what you have planned works all those areas, even down to the playgroup! Love it!

DS also played teeball 2x/yr. I also took to as many community events etc as possible etc

** Moving on, regarding the IQ? I would actually call for an IEP addendum. Have them correct the language of "iq" incl add how they came to that score. Also

Finally, YES, there is an IQ test your kiddo can do smile
It was administered to my DS shortly before 3rd bday when he rec'd DX, it is the WPPSI-III. They just do 4subtests. I was advised that DS score would go up significantly after he became more verbal etc though this test is not as dependent on verbal skills, so not sure how accurate that is, but basically, my DS was NOT cooperative at all and still scored well. She encouraged me to retest in 1year. I wasn't ever worried about his intelligience, and only until recently has it become an issue.
(regular public school kinder didn't work out, he was way too far ahead by 5 1/2yrs.

Oh- one note re ABA- I do not feel traditional ABA is right for every child. I believe it does have its place and is useful for many, so I am not "against" it- I think again- as parents, we have to be informed and make decisions based on our own individual child- not just b/c they have a certain Dx.
I am a strong supporter for a child like DS, of "play based therapy" approach model, and turns out that is sort of how I was "working" with DS- w/o even knowing it...

Sounds to me, that is what you are doing as well smile
Hugs to you

Last edited by cc6; 03/26/13 10:08 PM. Reason: typos

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller