Hi, I am new here. I have been trying to figure out my son pretty much since he was born, lol. We started early intervention for him at 2 due to social delays (he scored 9 months at 24 months) and at 2.5 we had him evaluated for autism and he was diagnosed at that time with autism. The did a speech evaluation at that time which he got all the way to the end of and got an age score of 4.5, but he might have gone further if the test had gone further.

Now, he is 3 (feb b-day) and in the IU getting speech and physical therapy for 30 minutes a week each. They do not have an IU preschool in our area for kids like him (very high functioning) and have recommended we send him to a regular preschool. We are certain he has too many behavior issues to succeed there and are thinking about holding off another year until he is 4.

A big concern we currently have is that we have always felt certain he is gifted, but the school district says kids with Asperger's traits often look gifted, but are not. He is too young to test at this point, but we were really annoyed when the school district put an IQ "estimate" on his IEP of 91 without doing any sort of formal assessment.

Our main reason for concern is how far he is ahead academically and how far behind socially. He is reading and doing a lot of 1st grade work but does not tend to interact with peers or use social language. I'm no teacher myself, but since no one else was interested in educating him, I bought some work books and he flies through them.

As a baby he was very advanced, talked at 5 months, huge vocab, knew shapes and colors at 12 months, great at puzzles, geography, etc.

I guess what I want to know is what to do? Is there any test or recognized way to estimate IQ? Is the school right to assume he isn't smart and just has a good memory due to Asperger's? I am worried about what he will do in kindergarten since he has already mastered pretty much the whole year of curriculum, I am sure that when he is 5 he will be years ahead.

So, does anyone have any info or advice for us? Thanks in advance!