It can be hard to know if there's an issue or not. However my DS has long since outgrown his echolalia phase.

Our school has been convinced that DS8 has autism, and it's taken me getting a "no" from five different professionals (the last being a psychiatrist who deals only in autism) for the school to let it go. He's quirky and has behaviours (sensory) that look like autism, but he simply doesn't meet the diagnostic criteria. He's just too high functioning, with very typical theory of mind.

Here's another thought - my DS has a piece of audio processing disorder (but not the full disorder): binaural integration imbalance. Basically it means that his brain listens more to his right ear than his left (he's had five "normal" hearing tests... his ears are great - it's his brain that's still working out the kinks). He was assessed shortly after he turned eight.

Audio processing can develop later in some kids. DS's BII should be fully resolved by the time he's around 12. Meanwhile, when he was little and echolalic, who knows what his brain was doing as far as audio processing goes. I'm just throwing theories out there when I suggest the Echolalia was related to audio processing, but who knows, really?

I'd keep an eye on it, but don't panic (it's good that you're so on top of it). He might just need time to develop through it.

Last edited by CCN; 03/01/13 07:35 PM.