Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
DD toe-walked until VERY late (she was still doing this occasionally at 4-6yo), and also went through an echolalia-like phase.

It's possible that this behavior (which DD also did for a time) is more about "did I hear you correctly?" and not something else. This only made sense to me when DD was older and we realized just how impaired her hearing was when she was <2.5 yo and had basically continuous ear infections and congestion. No wonder she was using what in an adult would be considered "mirroring," and seeking confirmation that we were understanding one another!!

This makes me wonder if it's not what he's doing. We know his hearing is fine, because since his language has been delayed his hearing is tested every 6 months. He certainly seems to be aware of doing it and he does stop for short periods of time if asked (it tends to drive me batty after he does it 6-7 times in a row.) So, he could either be double checking what I'm saying or just enjoying his use of words now that he has them.

Originally Posted by Dbat
DD did the same thing about talking a little later than typical kids, but interestingly since then her enunciation has always been excellent--we had very little 'baby talk.' She also did the echolalia thing especially when she was 2-3, and would repeat the whole thing that was said to her, without changing the pronoun. She stopped that but now she does the palilalia (?) thing--repeating her words under her breath. I think she's just fine but you should be aware the echolalia is sometimes associated with the autism spectrum, and our DD has been diagnosed as having Asperger's/ high functioning autism. But IMO I wouldn't worry about your DS at this point if that's the only unusual thing you've noticed; as you say, he might just be processing how to communicate.

I do appreciate the heads up about that! I do not think he's on the spectrum because he's been watched for it during his speech therapy because he was so delayed without a clear reasoning. He also didn't walk until 16 months, so we were concerned at that point. Since then, this seems to be the only oddity in his behavior. The rest can be explained by being ahead of his peers mentally.

I think we'll just keep an eye on it at this point. Unfortunately, since he just turned 3, his next appointment isn't for another year. So, we'd have to make a special one for this. We'll just see. I'm glad to know that this doesn't seem to be a permanent thing and that others have experienced it to know what I'm talking about. I feel less crazy!

Thanks everyone!