Hi Dude, I agree. I overstated my point, both are important. It's just that it's easy to praise the work product. I have a MS math club I run (Funny thing is I have poor math skills), and every year I have students that push for the problems to be easy. (For many this is the first time they have been challenged in math). So I get on my soap box, and ask them, if I give you simple addition problems that you most likely will all get 100% on would that be fun. I explained it is through solving a difficult problem (Each person’s difficulty level varies) that we grow and also that we have fun. It’s overcoming a task that develops strength in a subject as well as confidence in your ability to step into what you don't know and work to find a solution. I agree with HowlerKarma that the outside world (Schools, relatives, etc...) will praise the results more, I just try to control what I can. ColinsMum, I find the most difficult thing for me is trying to develop intrinsic motivation, it’s hard to know when parental motivation (praise, bribes, and threats) should be less and their own motivation should kick in. My son is 10 and although he is motivated he still needs help with consistency and direction. I am a big fan of natural consequences for his own actions, but I tend to fail with this. I still follow up to see if he has completed his work, I still help on projects, and my dw still bails him out if he falls behind on writing assignment. I know that allowing him to fail will be a better teacher, but as a parent I don't know where I should let him fall, and where I should help him stand.