I read like a fiend about gifted and ADHD and every combination thereof while trying to figure out in my own mind whether my son was in fact afflicted with ADHD, and whether I should leap in that unknown world of the medicated mind. I checked out books from the library, bought a few, and for the life of me cannot remember any book in particular. All I remember is that I came to the realization that if I did not do something, my son could be come a statistic... another bright child who fails in the real world and all because I would not help him because I was too proud. I am thankful I jumped as I know now that he has a real problem with disorganization and inattention. It became more evident as organization required of him. He now realizes it too, but still needs lots of external guidance to organize his world. I think it will get better... I will need to research that book you mention, as I do not specifically recall, although sounds familiar...
By the way, you are correct.. I did minimize my talents in an effort to fit in with the "normal" kids. I was in all the advanced classes and with all the "odd" kids and enjoyed the intellectual stimulation... but had to balance it out with 1 class with those "average" kids, something like home econ... you know the easy A for just sitting there. I think it is tough for bright teenagers because they do want to fit in. I am sensitive to that with my son as he has always had difficulty fitting in with kids his age. He has made a couple of friends in his track at school.. his best friend though is not in his classes and actually struggles some with learning. They are in scouts together and they have an ok friendship where they just hang out and do kid things; quite the symbiotic relationship.. one helping the other learn and the other teaching the otherhow to be a kid.