Originally Posted by questions
Interesting, as I've been told that ADHD/ADD kids have the ability/desire to hyperfocus on things that interest them but not on what they consider boring, tedious work. In fact, it's been explained to me that it takes so much effort for them to focus that they don't want to make the effort unless they see the value to them (e.g., interesting, or there is other motivation). And when they realize that what they focused on was meaningless to them (e.g., work that's too easy or that they've already mastered) they can get very frustrated and upset.

You know, I've heard this also, but I know several real little boys in real life who are diagnosed with ADHD and really can't focus on anything besides video games or TV - one not even that, without their medication. I are sorely tempted to guess that the hyperfocus observation is rooted in seeing gifted kids who have been misdiagnosed as ADHD acting like Gifted Kids when interested, and like ADHD kids at school. I'm not a doctor, but it does fit the data.

some (many? several?) Gifted kids certianly have OverExcitabilites that can be motor or otherwise that make a classroom a living xxxx. Readiness level placement can help, but for HG/PG kids, readiness level placement may not really be possible in a school that isn't flexible, because all the abilities don't come in at the same time - so a 8 year old may be 'ready' for discussions in a high school english class, but no way ready emotionally for the topics of the books of the written output. Good news is that it doesn't have to be a perfect fit for the experience to be worthwhile. Once just may have to give up the idea of having a perfectly well behaved and fitting in kid. BTW - hat's off to all of you with lovely children who are well behaved at school. I don't want to tar them with my son's brush. I do want to be sure they aren't missing out on 'learning how to learn' because they are so socially able, but that's a different post. And I do believe in the self-enriching child who really can make a silk purse and learn how to challenge themselves in any environment, I just don't happen to live with one of those!

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com