Originally Posted by Grinity
You know, I've heard this also, but I know several real little boys in real life who are diagnosed with ADHD and really can't focus on anything besides video games or TV - one not even that, without their medication. I are sorely tempted to guess that the hyperfocus observation is rooted in seeing gifted kids who have been misdiagnosed as ADHD acting like Gifted Kids when interested, and like ADHD kids at school. I'm not a doctor, but it does fit the data.

Hi Grinity,

I am quite sure that I would have agreed with you on this a few years ago. But since DH (who is PG, has a PhD from a highly competitive grad school) was diagnosed with ADD a few years ago, I will tell you that what Questions says is completely true. The kids you describe are probably the most likely to get diagnosed with ADHD, but hyperfocus is part of the diagnosis for many kids who have ADD (not ADHD.)

DH's hyperfocus is amazing and allowed him to excel in his field and because of this we never thought he could have ADD. But the problem is that he has no middle gears; he is either not focused or completely focused. And for most daily household tasks (and especially when you are raising a child) middle gears are really appropriate. You cook dinner and keep an ear out for what your kid is doing and answer a question about what time practice is tomorrow all at the same time. DH could not do this level of multitasking without becoming overwhelmed. The ADD meds help him stay in this middle place. He tells me that with the meds, he feels "like himself."

I have known other HG+ folks who were the same way and the ADD meds saved their marriages. I'm not suggesting that we medicate everyone, but only that we not write off a diagnosis that could be helpful.