I definitely see why you are bothered, it doesn't sound like they get how to utilize what he can do, but I would also suggest that looking at the therapist and conversing with her is a different skill to reading something to her. Reading is not conversing or making a request...

Like wise it's really worth using a child's own interests to engage them in play - BUT one of the features of a child with ASD is that they want to play THEIR play, their way, by their rules, with all other players really only being tools for their play. I imagine it is a very conscious choice on the therapist's part that they are not playing his games his way but instead trying to work on joining in with others, doing new things, doing them new ways, etc.

They may possibly be failing to realise and utilise his intelligence, but both the examples you have given I am guessing that there is an actual therapeutic reason for what they are doing. It sounds like you need to have a talk with them and find middle ground where they acknowledge his skills and interests but still work on the deficits it seems like they are trying to address?

Last edited by MumOfThree; 01/17/13 07:31 PM.