Originally Posted by W'sMama
Originally Posted by mnmom23
How attached are you to the idea of your DD going to this school?

Oh, this makes me so sad to answer. :o( It's a new charter school and I worked with them for years to get it going. My family has put many hundreds of hours of volunteer work into this school

W'sMama - we were once in the position you're in now - all three of our children were enrolled in a charter school which we (parents) had put our time, heart, soul and effort into to the nth degree because we really believed in the mission. We were convinced it was a place where differentiation could happen (and we were assured it would).. and it didn't happen in a way or at a level that made any difference to our EG ds. We hung on, advocated, tried, wished, volunteered, you name it... but nothing much really changed. Eventually we reluctantly switched schools... to a different type of school altogether... but you know what? It was the BEST thing I've ever done as a parent! Not only was my ds instantly happier, and not only did he finally get the intellectual challenge he needed, I can't tell you how relaxed and relieved I felt when I dropped him off at school everyday. And as a bonus, we'd found a school where teachers (and administrators) value parent input, which is a HUGE bonus when advocating for a gifted student.

I do hope things work out for you at the school you're at - but if you sense that it's more than just one teacher with a not-so-great attitude, I would suggest asking around of other parents, doing some research, and getting out and checking out some of the other school options in your area. You might find something that is a better fit for your child.

I totally understand not wanting to let go - but if you do have to let go, you can let go knowing you did a wonderful amount of great work and helped to provide a good school option in your neighborhood. None of that changes, even though it may not be the best choice of school for your ds.

Best wishes,

polarbear