Originally Posted by master of none
But if you get to a point where the curriculum is the curriculum and that's that, you may need to move on because you know that's not going to work for your dd.

I'm starting to think this is pretty much their philosophy, even though they claim to be so big on ability grouping and challenging all students.

I asked the teacher if DD could be excused from reading the phonics booklets and read a book from home during that time. I got a long response that amounted to this:

1. DD lied to the teacher about having a book in her bag from home. (I assume because she didn't want to be different from the rest of the class by reading something else.)

2. The teacher thinks DD is benefiting from the activities they do during literacy time and having her "read a book alone" would be a waste of time for her.

This is all communication over email, so maybe we'd get further with meeting in person. I don't think that can happen until January though.

MoN, sounds like your daughter did a great job advocating for herself. I've asked my DD a few times (in the context of her complaining about school) if she could tell the teacher she'd like to read something different, or if she could ask the librarian if she can check out a chapter book instead of something from the K shelf her class is restricted to. DD is not interested in making any waves at school, she just wants to come home & complain about it to me I guess. :oP