Thanks, MoN, I'm trying to stay hopeful.

I did send a chapter book in for DD to read- this was 8 weeks ago after I suggested it at the PT conference. The teacher said sure, send a book in for her to read, but it never got touched other than one time when I volunteered. I was helping by pulling students into the hallway to read with me and I got DD's chapter book for her turn. DD whined and made a fuss and said she wanted to read the little booklets like everyone else. I told her the teacher said she should be reading the book I sent in. DD played a few games with pretending not to know any of the words and eventually settled in to read a few pages very nicely. I was a little weirded out that she seemed to not want anyone to know she could read already. (Our experience in extracurricular classes has been that she has no problem pointing out when she can do something the other kids can't... In fact we had to have several discussions about not bragging.)

I took the book back home with me this week when I was in the classroom again since it hadn't been used in 2 months and in that time DD had gotten another copy from the library and finished it at home. (James and the Giant Peach.)