Thanks to everyone who responded.
I don't think anything will happen (as far as school is concerned) to give him more challenging work. I do receive a note saying that my kid was off-task once every month from the teacher. I have a talk with my kid and things improve till the next month's note. I see the quality of work in his worksheets and they seem pretty good. He is not super fast with completing them -- he will probably do the worksheets, then color them to the last detail and then give the worksheet to the teacher.

While I understand that writing is super important and handwriting is critical, it seems to me that is all the class are doing. Plus, my kid's writing is not bad either -- all the practice seems to be paying off. He still remains unchallenged in reading and math at school. I try and enrich at home

Can you wait? We tested DS at 7 and the psychologist told us the results were inaccurate (because of his ADHD behaviour). She told us to wait two years and test him again. Now only one year has passed and he's like a different kid - the year of maturation has been incredible - but of course now we have no $$ coverage to have him tested again.

The school psychologist said the same thing. She thought IQ scores at 7 or 8 was much more reliable than at 5

I am also curious: how do you find doctors to rule out ADD ? Most seem to diagnose it than rule it out, based on the parent and teacher's feedback on the questionnaires. It seems to me that they err on the side of diagnosing it than ruling it out. Would that be an accurate assessment ? Also, where (resources wise, doctors' list wise) could I find doctors who do educational testing and ADD testing ?

Please let me know. Thanks again. Everyone has been a huge help, and this helps me think things through.

Last edited by mom2one; 12/07/12 08:39 AM.