I was looking for some more advice and suggestions. We had a parent teacher conference, where the teacher mentioned that he was probably the smartest kid in her class, but that he does not show it during the school day. A lot of times, he seems very uninterested in the worksheets (something I have not seen at home). I again suggested reading to the class or doing worksheets that involved reading comprehension (read a page, or a story, or a non-fiction book and answer questions about it (or) write three lines about the story/book). The teacher told me "she has to teach the curriculum". I respect that, and I am willing to send comprehension worksheets or books, but she did not seem too keen, and suggested that his social skills needed work. I do agree with that. Not really sure how to advocate if all suggestions are being shot down. Meanwhile, we are continuing to just read about whatever his current interests are.

For the ADD aspect that she is seeing, I have requested that she use a timer. He does talk a lot, and responds really well to schedule/structured activities, so I am now second guessing myself, based on what the teacher said. At home as well as the library (I thought we should go to some other place to do homework), though, he seems fine.