mom2one, you've received great advice already. I'll just add a few quick thoughts:

If your ds is testing very high in verbal ability but average in processing speed, it might be helpful to keep a watch for potential signs of a struggle related to the discrepancy in ability vs processing speed. There are quite a few of us who have 2e kids with learning challenges related to that type of a WISC profile, and it's sometimes mistaken for ADHD (inattentive type) in early elementary kids.

Re how to challenge your ds - one way to approach this is to volunteer to help if you have some time to come in for 30 minutes or an hour once per week. When my ds was in K-1 I used to help the teacher give her weekly spelling tests, and that helped give her the time and ability to keep a differentiated word list notebook for each child - which meant that in turn, my ds had his own word list to work on. The teacher had to make up lists for him because he was farther ahead than any child she'd ever taught... which was something extra for her to do, and I think it helped me get the differentiation by having built that helping relationship in the classroom. Re reading levels, it's quite possible there are other children at the school reading at or near the level your ds is at, so if you are able to come in once a week, you could volunteer to come in during reading time and lead a small group of advanced readers (or do the same with math etc).

I know that it's not something anyone should *have* to do to get the appropriate education for their child, but it was something that helped out a lot in the early years of school for my ds when we were dealing with a lot of brick walls in the way of being able to work at his ability.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - re how to know if he's reading the right level of books for his comprehension level - you should be able to find out more info about his comprehension level from classroom assessments - most K-2 grades do some type of standardized reading assessment at the beginning and end of the year. If your ds is beyond the level of the assessment that's given, you can insist he be tested up to his level. I also have some tips from an educational advisor who evaluated our ds who has a reading challenge - they are things you can do when reading to your child at home. I'll try to look them up this weekend and post them for you.