I've been talking to my hubby about this, about what I'm thinking about gifted children. I said there's no way the teachers would understand this, but I think it's better for a kid to be put wherever they're a C student and they have to work hard for A's and B's. That's what all the other kids get. That's what everybody sets up as a normal childhood for a normal kid. Why is it hard to understand a gifted kid whose parents think they should go to school to learn?

Of course I've told him that I've read, "If your kid is ever by far the best student in the class you should find them another class (where they can go to learn)." But, if you accelerate you still have to be by far the best student in the class by graduation. Whatever age you are doesn't matter when applying to college or for scholarships; you still have to be by far the best of your class.

I've told him that you never post about troubles and now you have one. I said it was ridiculous because you're always saying how it's only important for kids to learn well and right. If it takes holding them back a year so they actually learn then they deserve the chance at a good solid education. You or I would hold our kid back in a heartbeat if they needed the extra focus to learn properly. It should really be about what's best for the child. It's a shame when it's not.

Grinnity would say go and talk to them about how this makes your child feel. Tell them what she's telling you. Tell them what it's doing to her self esteem. This gets through better than talking about research or excellent abilities because it's no longer about theories or about what you or I think but about what it's clearly doing right now to the emotional development of your child. Try to hold the silent opinion that, "you may want to wait and see it something breaks before you fix it, but I see the damage it's doing to my child right now".

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar