Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by amylou
My impression was that Common Core is not a curriculum (although it will surely trigger publication of new textbooks), per se, but a set of common standards. ... Thus, it will be possible to compare test scores between districts and states, using the same tests and knowing they have targeted the same set of standards.

I really wish this turns out to be true. But I'm dubious, because the political and other stakes are too high. The cynic in me thinks "The same people are still in charge; they've mostly found ways to get around attempts at meaningful evaluation in the past, and they'll find a way to get around it again with Common Core."

A new curriculum (or set of standards; whatever you want to call it) and buzzwords like RIGOR! won't change deeply flawed mindsets like everyone can be proficient at the same stuff at the same age and everyone should go to college.

Or, for that matter, that every group of two or more educators requires at least one full-time administrator to tell them what to do, and when, and how. Every year.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.