Here is my original thread for background: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....s_to_get_test_results_fo.html#Post131799

We FINALLY got results today for my DS (6.5 yrs) after having to wait for the university's summer break to end.

Overall, the results show that my son is HG/EG but the scores on his WISC-IV were so scattered that they couldn't even give us a meaningful FSIQ. They only calculated one composite score and the rest were "not interpretable". They did give a GAI but said it was not very meaningful.

Now on the WJ-III, the results were great except for some of the subtests that involved processing speed. The results here were more like we expected to see on the WISC-IV.

Here are the results (please bear with me!)

WISC-IV

Similarities 13
Vocabulary 17
Comprehension 11
VCI = Not interpretable

Block Design 15
Picture concepts 10
Matrix reasoning 19
PRI = Not interpretable

Digit span 12
Letter-number sequencing 16
WMI = 123

Coding 6 (what? REALLY??)
Symbol search 11
PSI = Not interpretable

FSIQ = Not interpretable
GAI = 129 (obviously not terribly accurate!)

WJ-III Acheivement (Clusters)

Oral language 121
Broad reading 136
Broad math 152
Broad written language 138
Math calculation 150
Written expression 127
Academic skills 150
Academic fluency 133
Academic applications 140
TOTAL ACHIEVEMENT = 143

(I have subtest scores too if that helps - I can post them if interested)

Soooo......they basically told me that the issues we have with DS not following directions, leaving tasks unfinished, trouble with switching tasks, inattention, and impulsiveness could be caused by ADHD or could be related to his giftedness. They recommended making accommodations for these issues in school and then get reevaluated in a couple of years.

He did the computer test for ADHD (CPT-2) and did worse as time went on (slower, less accurate). He also didn't handle long pauses in activity when there was nothing to do (like when the tester was writing down his responses on the Roberts-2 test).

Since he did OK with the WMI, it may be that he can hold his attention for awhile (which is what we observe all the time with him when he gets interested in something). I don't feel like this is such a HUGE issue that it impacts him severely but I'm sure there could be some improvement which would make things easier for him.

So I guess I am wondering - how big a deal is the slow processing speed? I mean that score on the coding test put him in the 9th percentile. That does not sound good to me. But I feel like overall he gets along pretty well and he doesn't seem to have attention problems all the time (like I think ADHD kids tend to have but I don't know really know...)

I'm thinking of applying to YS but only that one Broad Math score qualifies him out of all of those scores. I think I can come up with a portfolio. Hopefully that will be enough?

Thanks for reading and any advice anyone can offer would be awesome.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT