Originally Posted by fwtxmom
Kids don't like to work in their area of weakness all the time any more than we do as adults. This is a mistake I made with my son. His frustration level with having to work on reading and writing all the time (his two worst subjects) was very high. I think it would have been better to balance that important work with instruction and play with math and numbers which come so easily to him.

This is what I do with my DS8. He has a language processing disorder (plus ADHD) accompanied by fine motor issues and printing/spelling issues. He's in French which makes it harder. (Interestingly he has no trouble with English reading). Anyway... we spend equal time working on his written language output in both languages as we do on his favorite subject (at which he excels and is above grade level): math.

Fyi my main reason for doing this is because I wanted him to feel good about his smarts: "You may not write or read French as well as the other kids, but you're way ahead in math." It seems to be working... he's pretty happy in school.

Last edited by CCN; 08/12/12 07:41 PM.