I am curious what advice seasoned parents would give regarding this situation. My son is almost five. Despite having a really high IQ score, he can't sound out most words, struggles to write his name and in general gets letter sounds all mixed up. We do a phonics app together and he always gets p,d,b,q mixed up and u and n mixed up. He read "bye, bye" as "pye, pye" yesterday.
His subtests were fairly even (I remember block design being the highest), he sees an OT for sensory issues, and we have been doing some HWT (it has not been without tears for us, by the way).
I made a similar post a few months ago about scores not adding up with ability. Several people mentioned that they had high scoring kids who didn't read early. I am just a little more concerned now because he seems like he is trying and something isn't clicking.
Also, my FIL is an outrageously successful 2E dyslexic (and proud of it!). He definitely sees his dyslexia has giving him an edge in his area of expertise but remembers struggling in elementary school.
Perhaps, it is my kindergarten jitters. I just don't want to see him struggle for years if there is something we could do to help earlier.
My current plan would just be to wait a year or two and see how things progress. For those of you who have dealt with these concerns, what would you do?

Last edited by KJP; 08/11/12 12:06 AM.