The thing about reading and writing in kids with dyslexia is that nothing is intuitive. They don't make leaps in understanding the way they do in other subjects. So reading and writing instruction is very explicit and multi-sensory. You can look up Wilson or Orton-Gillingham. My son did Wilson.

Personally, I think there's a lot of quakery in the dyslexic intervention community, and I think if you do some reading you'll figure that out. For instance, I liked the message in "The Gift of Dyslexia," but their interventions seem like pure magical thinking. And a friend of ours went to a clinic where their dd was rolled around in blankets to cure dyslexia-- again, not something we would subscribe to.

If your son is receptive, I think you could start any kind of reading program that excplicitly teaches reading-- Hooked on Phonics, is actually a good program for really young grades. If I'd have known about that in K for my son, I would have purchased it (but I didn't know anything about dyslexia). Instead I tried other lessons and he was extremely resistant, mostly because his twin was so far past the baby-book/learning book stage, there was no way he would try easy readers.

I do think the point is to try to get him up to his ability/IQ level as soon as possible, before he might develop an aversion to reading.