Girlchild is starting public school ninth grade this year, after four or so years of back-and-forth.

We initially pulled Girlchild and Mancub from public school in fourth grade. Had only planned to homeschool Girlchild (gifted, Asperger's, bully magnet), but her twin wanted to come along so...hey, why not? So we homeschooled fulltime until sixth grade, whereupon he transitioned to the gifted magnet middle; she joined him in November. It was an unmitigated disaster and both ended up leaving by March.
Seventh grade, both started regular, gen ed classes at the same school. It didn't require a lot of effort on their part, the teachers adored them, and we had the latitude to miss a lot of school to do other stuff (cultural events, field trips with homeschool friends, etc). That worked okay, but for eighth grade dd ended up homeschooling again while her brother stayed at school (though he's done math online because the middle school--even with the "advanced track" gifted program, couldn't accommodate his needs since working at his own pace meant that he ended up a few years ahead of any of his classmates...yes, he's a happy math nerd).
They're starting ninth grade at the local high school next month: honors/AP track, though they've declined to pursue spots at the IB program that our county tends to believe is "one size fits all gifted kids". The only people that our back-and-forthness has been a problem for is the school guidance counselors...well, okay, and one fellow parent whose head exploded when I told her I didn't think it was a good idea to assume that "school" was synonymous for "education".

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."