Originally Posted by JamD
She tested with a GAI of 140, but her mechanics of reading and writing are just around 100 - the pdoc says it is a learning disorder in these areas around decoding. So from the school perspective she is at or above grade level almost across the board. (Spelling is low.)

In our first meeting with the school they told us no, she didn't qualify for gifted services or reading intervention. Now, I do think we can meet again and try to get SOMETHING, though I won't know what until August.

I'm equally concerned, though, about her shyness and her anxiety around school. She has always struggled in large groups. Last year was an awful year socially - not only did she not make any good connections, but she had a couple of second grade girls who I think bossed her around and would "let" her play with them, sometimes. :-(
Another option: there is a "school for homeschoolers" in town - basically, you pick and choose from classes you want your kiddo to take. You are still considered a homeschooler - although you can have them there 4-5 full days if you choose. It is a very small community - probably about 10 kids her age, but very fluid with ages/grades.

Susan

Hi Susan,

My feeling is that if she's not doing well in the school because of skill deficits (language/reading/social), the key would not necessarily be to remove her from there, but to put remedies in place to address the skill deficits and help her be more successful.

You may need private interventions as well as those through the school to make this happen, but they can be very effective. And the school is certainly responsible for remediating the LD.

Putting her in a more comfortable environment that plays to her strengths more might be happier in the short term, but less likely to build the skills she needs in the long term. A homeschool coop is also highly unlikely to have the professional skills in place for remediating an LD.

What does the psych say about the social problems? At the *very* least the school should be protecting her from bullying; but she can also learn strategies for engaging with others that will make her social life less bumpy.

Best,
DeeDee