Hi all -
For many complex reasons, I feel like my DD8 could use a break from public school. We like our public schools, though, and would hope to transition her back in after a year or two. I'm wondering if others have comments/experiences?

I've posted elsewhere about DD - we just had her tested after years of feeling like something was off but having the schools tell us she was fine. She tested with a GAI of 140, but her mechanics of reading and writing are just around 100 - the pdoc says it is a learning disorder in these areas around decoding. So from the school perspective she is at or above grade level almost across the board. (Spelling is low.)

In our first meeting with the school they told us no, she didn't qualify for gifted services or reading intervention. Now, I do think we can meet again and try to get SOMETHING, though I won't know what until August.

I'm equally concerned, though, about her shyness and her anxiety around school. She has always struggled in large groups. Last year was an awful year socially - not only did she not make any good connections, but she had a couple of second grade girls who I think bossed her around and would "let" her play with them, sometimes. :-(

The school has said that they will try to put her in with a "friendly face." But the school is huge - there are 12-13 classrooms for her grade.

Another option: there is a "school for homeschoolers" in town - basically, you pick and choose from classes you want your kiddo to take. You are still considered a homeschooler - although you can have them there 4-5 full days if you choose. It is a very small community - probably about 10 kids her age, but very fluid with ages/grades.

We are wondering about having her there for 1 or 2 years. My hope is that it would allow her to focus on the reading areas, grow in her strong areas, but more importantly, find her feet and her voice. But I'm concerned - would doing this help her in 2 years if she rejoins the public school in 5th? In a perfect world she would feel more secure and confident and be ready to move back into the larger classroom. (We would continue soccer/girl scouts with local girls, so she would still have some connections.)

Or, in a bad scenario, we would be removing her from the school for 2 years and she would feel more and more disconnected from those kids, and have a hard time finding her people when she goes back, just before middle school.

Any thoughts/advice?!?

Thank you!
Susan

Last edited by JamD; 07/03/12 05:06 AM.