Originally Posted by ultramarina
Ding ding ding! Yes. This is it exactly for DD. It's not so much that she would choose to do things so very differently. She just wants to make the choices herself.

BTW, I don't feel like being an adult feels like being in a prison at all. I think I have quite a lot of freedom and I appreciate it. I get why DD feels that she doesn't. We tell her what to eat, what she's going to do each day (largely), when to go to bed, what she can and can't do in the house, etc. And I don't think we're overly restrictive.

"Overly restrictive" is a subjective term. One person might see the same behavior as excessive permissiveness, and another might see it as too restrictive. It seems like she's trying to tell you that you both see things differently here.

FTR, I don't feel like adulthood is a prison, either, because the responsibilities I have today are ones I have chosen to accept. And that's the key, isn't it? You say your DD wouldn't do things very differently if given the choice... so why not give it to her?

We don't tell DD7 what to eat, or wear, or do in the house. We simply set the boundaries on what she cannot eat, wear, or do. Within those boundaries... go nuts.