Originally Posted by ultramarina
Who else has kids like this? This is a very common theme with my DD. She really just can't seem to stand the fact that she is still a minor and has to follow the rules that society places on her as a minor.

I think your daughter's feelings are normal and healthy.

Maybe the happiest day of my life was when I graduated from high school. I was a good student and did not dislike school, but the warehousing aspect of high school -- you must be in the assigned classroom for 7 hours a day, even study hall -- grated on me. College is not like that, nor are many (but not all jobs).

Maybe you could channel your daughter's frustration into a plan to finish high school sooner and thus become an adult, at least in some respects.

Another annoying thing about being a child is that you don't have your own money and require your parents' approval to buy stuff. Fewer teens are working now than before (a bad trend perhaps), but it takes "only" some computer skills and a good idea to make money writing an "app" or even starting a company.
Therefore I want my kids to learn to program as soon as possible, and I will try to expose them to business, too.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell