I think it's a good thing that you're sensitive to the sensitivities of others - and that's a good thing to teach your kiddos, too. But where I draw the line is in trying to "hide their light" to the point that they feel like something is wrong with being smart or liking "odd" things like laser chess or Dad's old C++ programming manuals.

The other day we were getting groceries, and my son and I chat the entire time. He was sharing an idea he had for a business (it's a new one every week), and he asked me, "I have a good business plan. I've done the projections. All I need now is a little working capital, but you won't be one of my Angel investors. So I'm going to have to think outside the box on funding this one."

He wasn't talking overly loud, and he wasn't trying to impress anyone. He lives in a house where we've had three startups since he was born, and so he's had a kitchen table experience in all of it.

I was challenging him on his so-called business plan when I heard a man mutter to his wife, "Sheesh. Some people can't even let their kids be kids. That's ridiculous."

I didn't try to correct him but just ignored the comment and wandered to the next aisle with my son. I would have been more sensitive at one time, but not anymore. I have "weird" kids by some people's standards, but I'm not out there trying to make them little entrepreneurs or geniuses. I am simply letting them express who they are with the belief that it is ok to be themselves.

I guess that is where I was coming from with the who not giving a flip who heard you reading. You're going to get rude comments and wondering comments and awestruck comments. As long as you accept that is the norm, it is easier to live life and let your kids grow up a bit more comfortable in their own skin.