If its ok to read Horton hears a who in public then its acceptable to read anything else your DS wants to read. If either case disturbs the other diners or bus riders then maybe rethink but otherwise, I think this is where you have to start identifying how you want to balance the discomfort of being different with what your child needs. If you want to be less conspicuous do something less obviously intellectual, maybe maze books, or other forms of activity style book. But seriously, once you start changing how you parent based on what people might say for fear of being embarrassed you maybe saving short term discomfort but you re trading it for boredom, disappointment and confusion for DS. Plus you re in effect saying what we do at home isn't appropriate for out in public - and while I think there certainly are things like that, book reading is not one of them.

I do understand though not wanting to always be the focus of attention or having to figure out how to respond when someone is talking about your kid in front of your kid, especially when considering them some sort of trick performer. But given where DS is now, your conversations are going to get more involved on more significant topics. I often ask DS to hold is thoughts if we re in a crowded or enclosed environment, like an elevator, but other than that, he is who he is. DS is now old enough that people address their absurd statements or views to him, or try to mask it in where do you go to school,or what grade are you in, someone recently said to him, my aren't you verbal! Seriously!? Interestingly DS will engage or not, and if he doesn't sometimes I will answer the questions sometimes not. I've noticed that when the adult is a bit rude, his response if he responds is more snarky. When he thinks the person is generally interested he responds more openly.

Don't led rude people define how you want to be with your DS - ok getting off soapbox now smile

DeHe