My son (3 years old - will be 4 in a couple of months) I think has me to my breaking point. I'm sitting at my computer crying because I feel so frustrated and incompetent. He's been "kicked out" of two preschools already. He's home with me for the summer and he is supposed to start a private gifted school in the fall. I have little hope that it will go well come this fall.

He is so oppositional. It feels really extreme. No matter what we tell him, he wants the opposite. He BEGGED me to sign him up for this art class. After a couple of weeks of this, we all finally agreed to let him go. We signed him up. Literally, as soon as we signed him up he said he didn't want to go. This morning, as we tried to take him to class he threw a major major fit... so we couldn't take him. (It would be physically impossible to remove him from the car seat and also unfair to the teacher and other kids to send him in there even if we could.)

I feel like such a failure as a parent. I don't understand why he acts like this. We've been to a psychologist that evaluated him and said it was a combo of his extreme intelligence and his extreme stubborness/willfullness/self-directedness. I don't know how do make this better. I've read so many books. We try to be very consistent with our parenting and discipline.

In contrast, our 2 year old daughter - who is also extremely gifted but has none of the behavior issues - is so EASY. She does what we ask. She's good natured and just... easy!

I just feel so frustrated and so at-a-loss. My husband used to joke about military school, but he isn't really "joking" about it any more.

I guess I just wanted to vent, but I'm very open to hearing any advice!!! Thank you...