No, the DSM-5 is not finally approved yet. What I posted was the draft. It's still being argued about, for example here: http://thinkingautismguide.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-dsm-5-dsm-5-draft-autism-criteria.html

Originally Posted by ultramarina
I have read some stuff saying girls with ASDs are different and that things like "reading" or "art" may be their obsessive interest...but come on. I just don't know that we could consider a gifted girl who loves to read to have an obsessive interest in reading that counts as an ASD trait.

It would depend on how she's using the interest. If it's the major means with which she can get herself under control when she's upset, or if it is so compelling for her that she avoids social interactions that are fun for other kids, it can be a trait.

My DS's special interests at an early age were math and science. If he was upset, working with numbers was very soothing for him. He would add large columns of numbers repeatedly if he needed to calm himself down. He also happens to have it as a serious academic interest, but its use made it definable as a special interest.

I don't think this leads to "diagnoses all around"-- but it does help call attention to the trait of autistic people to use objects (and sometimes the people around them) in unusual ways.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 06/07/12 03:58 AM.