I know for DS he never had a language delay, and still doesn't have any problems with language, per se, but with communication. He knows his vocabulary words, can spell, etc. However, he has a lot of difficulty with certain areas of communication, especially decoding other people's intents/feeling and properly expressing his own.

I didn't think to ask the Neuro at the time, but I am curious to know, what the deciding factor was for DS to be PDD-NOS vs ASD. Or if, by meeting the criteria for PDD-NOS that excludes ASD? I still don't entirely understand how that works.

The big thing for me is that having a diagnosis of PDD-NOS means that DS now qualifies for a whole list of special services that only apply to kids on the spectrum. (I forget the names, but there's basically a special state law related to IEPs for kids on the spectrum, due to the fact that they often don't have academic delays, but still need special help.)

I can't wait to meet with the new school! I'm making myself wait until after we come back from our trip to the beach in July. (I did shoot an email to the principal, but am not really expecting a reply any time soon, as I know how end-of-year tends to be.)

~amy