Originally Posted by MumOfThree
I think both my daughter and myself more clearly meet the new criteria oddly enough. Maybe she'll move from borderline to diagnosed when it comes in.

I think the new criteria will capture a few more of a certain kind of person, while not excluding people who were diagnosable under the new criteria. I hope that the particular case of girls is clarified better in the new DSM.

but it does follow that that a language delay is likely to lead to a lower VCI, unless there has been significant remediation or progress before testing.

Not necessarily. My DS didn't talk much at all till he was 2, but came in at that point with his ABCs and sentences. You can't assume linear growth/progress.

And Aspergers, in my understanding, is supposed to include co-ordination issues which would potentially impact PRI. Though I realise we are all unique there is an expected pattern. Though how relevant that will be anyway as the DSM5 comes in I am not sure.

The coordination problem does not affect all people with AS and is not considered diagnostic. Syndromes are like family resemblances, where nobody has the full collection of features.

I would just like a clearer answer than "maybe" on my own daughter.

I hear you! The maybe is really hard to deal with.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 06/07/12 04:02 AM. Reason: make quotes work