My son is three and is developing a sense of will and self as most of his peer group do at this time. When he is not wanting to do as we ask (i.e. get in the car, leave a place we were having fun at, be in the house for dinner, going to bed etc.) he acts as if he will comply and then takes off in full run in the opposite direction. We have come to expect this and have figured out how to manage it physically or to avoid it all together.

However the other night during our bedtime chat hour, he tells me "I need to go out on my own sometimes" going on to clarify not with his parents or others. I explain that we need to keep him safe reminding him of running in the street, parking lots, down stairs, and getting lost. He said he can keep himself safe and wont get lost and repeats that he needs to go out on his own sometimes. I ask him why and he says because he feels like he is in a "cage with no door."

How would parents answer this question to there own gifted child young child and also address their need for freedom? I had some, but want to hear what others would say keeping in mind sensativity and being prone to nightmares.