Originally Posted by LNEsMom
I highly recommend that your daughter seek assistance from the unit at her university. They may not all run the same way, but most if not all American Universities have something along these lines (it may be required by the ADA, I'm not sure). Anyways, the ADHD alone would qualify her for some accommodations plus it definitely sounds like something else is going on with the writing. She might be able to get more time for assignments or be allowed to turn in shorter assignments. I think that having these accommodations set up may reduce her anxiety because she knows that they are guaranteed and that she doesn't have to spill her life story to every professor she takes a class from.

Thanks for explaining this, I will keep it in mind if she decides to try a different college. Because this particular college is so small, the ADA issues are handled by the Assistant Dean, I don't know if they get special training in ADA issues or just wing it, I suspect the latter. I had contacted this person last summer and I sent my DDs whole Eval and a copy of the thread about what happened last year when my DD derailed at the local university. I explained that the diagnosis was new and I didn't know what accommodations to ask for. I was told that the college really didn't have the issues most people request accommodations to alleviate (no timed tests etc). I was also told that some students do weekly checks with the counselor to make sure they are staying on track and I was giving a contact who for a fee would do telephone checks with my DD. My DD has way too much anxiety to talk to a stranger on the phone about her schoolwork. The weekly counselor checks might have worked if we could have spent some time getting a comfort level with the counselor and setting up the expectations ahead of time but their office was closed when we got to the school and since the add meds were working well at that time we thought it would all be okay. So we just went ahead and took a chance. If DD goes back to this college I will see if we can get an accommodation paper that allows her to write shorter papers and maybe supplement them with one-on one oral dissertations which is where she really shines.

UPDATE: DD has been selected to participate in a national research study on social anxiety, she will receive top notch Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for the next couple of months free - Woo Hoo!!!