Just an update on our DD. I went in for a surprise visit to observe our DD at her preschool last week. I was very concerned to see her interact with the teacher. She was being put on the spot to perform academic tasks that are far easier that what she was capable of. Like counting to six she refused and seemed very annoyed. The Teachers aide said this was her common response to school work in the program and there seems to be a general opinion that she is just to young to do the academics. My DD has been complaining that she is bored. She seems like a totally different kid at school and has requested to stay home with me for the second time since Dec.

I feel really bad because we put her in this school so she could meet some peers. And have a good experience. I am worried now that it has damaged her self confidence and excitement to learn. The teacher seems kind of negative towards her. Like when she asks a question about something the teacher acts impatient and just shuts her down. The teacher also acted a little disturbed when our DD was pretending to draw the childrens blood while playing doctor in dramatic play. My DD picks up on these things and comments on these subtle reactions wondering if she said something wrong. My instinct is to just bring her home. But my husband thinks she should finish out the year.

A few months ago someone at the public school said we should have her screened. I asked about that possibility on friday and was told that we should wait until she is 3 years 9 months and we recieve a letter from the school district requesting screening.

I do not know what to do. I feel like her creativity is being stiffled where she is. There are not alot of options where we live. You either go to the public school or the private one and both seem to have very set ways of doing things.

I am thinking I should keep her home and start like a K-first home schooling thing even though she is young. She is right on the brink of learning to read and is sounding things out and knows quite a few sight word and signs. She likes addition and subtraction and mazes and puzzles. I also found a dance teacher who is very creative and is all about the children being individuals and expressing themselves. The arbouretum near us has a cool program for 3-5 year old where parents can go with the kids that I think she would like.

My main reservation is the social development. I am very shy and it is hard for me to provide social opportunities for her. She has met one friend who is GT and a few months older who she plays with regularly. The mom has been very helpful and has become a good friend of mine.

Any advice of thought would be helpful. It is also nice to have a place to vent.

Last edited by skyward; 03/30/08 07:57 AM.