Originally Posted by leahchris
The suggestion for doing the SB came from the folks at gifteddevelopment.com in Denver. It was a only a general discussion. We are hoping to have a consult with them later this month. There is a lot of paperwork involved and we want to get the medical questions answered first.

Grinity - Can we do a WISC-IV so soon after the WISC-III? I know it was suggested by a psychologist who specializes in gifted and 2E kids and she seems to think it is okay. She is also very expensive! But, we do what we have to for our kids.

Any thoughts?

Leahchris
If you go with the GDC, just verify what version of the SB they are using. They are one of the few well known testing centers for gifted kids that advocates continued use of the SB-LM. They do have some valid reasons, but it is controversial and you may run into the same advocacy issues you'll have with the WISC-III b/c there are those who feel that it is not as valid due to the outdatedness (is that a word -- lol!) of the test.

Re how closely together one can take two different versions of the same test, opinions will probably differ, but I'd say that it is safer to err on the side of not testing on the WISC-III and WISC-IV (or V or whatever version) within one year. For instance, when I've tested kids on group tests (achievement or ability), the testing companies have generally held that I can't give one test (say the CogAT or ITBS) and then a different test (like the OLSAT or SAT-10) within a few months of one another b/c they are similar enough albeit not identical that the first test may serve as "prep" for the second making the second results less valid.

This has only come up when I've had a parent ask for a second test in quick succession b/c the first results weren't where they wanted them. That isn't what you're looking for, but I suspect that the same principle would apply.

Hopefully someone else will have some thoughts on that part of your question b/c I'm sure that opinions would vary.