whatever are the eating traditions in France, DS rules out any good manners, at least at home. And even if I can seem quite strict about that from my post, I am quite open. But eating with my son at home is such a mess ...Hopefully, I do not believe in the disease hypothesis since he does well many things requiring fine motor skills (lego playing for instance) and actually eats quite correctly anywhere except at our home... Here is my explanation. DS (then aged 5.5) explained quite a few things to his shrink (the one who tested him). Especially, he told her that when he wanted to do something wrong, he just had to do it, wait that I and his mother argued one against the other on his behavior and then he was able to do whatever he wanted because he was not anymore the matter of concern (I do not know if this is clear)... DW and I always were in disagreement about hand-eating. SO he found a good way to play with us. Now, she also has some problem with messy meals ... But, fortunatly (or not) we more or less gave up this fight.