I don't think you are being to pushy. We are facing/faced a similar issue with DD. She is about to turn 5- March b-day, but is reading 8th grade level, 3rd grade math, etc... I tried to get accommodation from the school here. I managed to get her tested by them. I was trying to get at least early entrance to K this year although looking back, I think it is a blessing in disguise. They didn't take their own psy recommendation and insisted on PreK this year even though she was even socially miserable. We don't have any other options here. There is one preschool/elementary school and one middle/high school on the island. And the final nail in the coffin was when the gifted coordinator (someone with no experience with gifted kids, its her side job, she is the ESL teacher) said "Sometimes gifted kids just have to be miserable in the elementary years" I was shocked! So we are homeschooling and DD is thriving. She is also involved in Girl Scouts (Daisy) now with girl 1-2 years older than her and is doing great socially now. And she is in a homeschool art class with kids up to 16. She is finally coming in to her own. If we had other options in schooling I would have pushed more. I just couldn't imagine last year, and still can't imagine, what DD doing K this coming Sept. would look like. So I say trust your gut!

DD6- DYS
Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.