DD started preschool this fall at a small play-based school and has had no problems with being able to read. She is barely 3.5 now and reading quite well, although not at a second grade level yet. She can just now get through the first Little bear. I have no doubt she will be reading quite fluently by the time her school begins any reading instruction (almost 2 years from now,) but I have learned her school bumps advanced readers up into the upper grades for reading in kindergarten. So, we will cross that bridge when we come to it, and we have options to fall back on.

I personally think it is too early to tell and don't put much stock into the Ruf estimates. After watching my DD learn how to read I think that early reading says more about personality and interest (and maybe attention span) than intelligence. She was insatiable-- I'll give her that. We also read a lot, and I know she would not be reading without all the input from us. But, early reading has been a great way to engage DD and hopefully one day soon it will be a great source of pleasure and information for her as well. That is most important.