I had the same worries as you - my dd started reading around her 2nd birthday, and just took off like a rocket. At 2.5, she started pausing before reading each sentence aloud, to take a moment to sort out the inflection. She had that mastered in a week. By age 4, she no longer wanted dh or I to read aloud to her, because we were too slow :-( Her silent reading speed shot past dh's and mine after a couple more years.

I remember freaking out with worry about schooling when she was 2yo, but then thinking that maybe the early reading was a fluke and that it was really just that, early reading. Well, it turned out not to be a fluke. And from what I've learned since, I think it is very likely that most very early readers turn out to be extremely bright children.

I am responding to this in part because we've had a very good experience, and while YMMV, I know I really appreciated hearing success stories when dd was little. My dd just turned 12yo, and she is still a voracious and lightening fast reader. She is "globally gifted" but does have some weakness in nonverbal/social areas. She is in 6th grade and has never been skipped. We've been blessed with very flexible public schools that *most* of the time have come through with accommodations. She currently has subject acceleration (3 years) in math and her middle school offers math classes that should meet her needs until high school. Her other core subjects are reasonably demanding in a good way (lots of writing and critical analysis). The science is weak for now but we make up for it in other ways.

But the main thing is that she is a happy and well adjusted kid. Even though her EXPLORE (out of level achievement test) scores in 4th grade put her at the 99th percentile for 8th graders, she still gets a lot out of school and is very comfortable in her own skin despite being so different. She is well-liked and her social life has blossomed since starting middle school last fall.

Prepare yourself for a wild ride and enjoy each amazing milestone along the way.