Hi. I'm new to this forum and am looking for a bit of advice and support. My son started reading when he was 26 months old (or 2 years, 2 months). I did not push this on him; he mostly taught himself. Before he turned three (a couple of weeks ago), he was reading Frog and Toad books and Beatrix Potter books (such as The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin) on his own rather fluently. I'm writing this here because I don't really know what this means. He's my only son and it's hard for me to gauge where he's at. Like another poster here, I've looked at the Ruf Estimates and I really think it's much too early to tell. I also don't feel that I can talk to many of my friends about this because it may make them feel inadequate, competitive, or judgmental, etc. Who wants to hear someone whine about their smart kid?

I suppose the main reason I'm writing is because I'm really concerned about education. My very bright husband got kicked out of a gifted program in the 80s and ended up becoming a high school drop out. So, I want to do whatever I can to help my son succeed, as I recognize that high intelligence comes with many problems, anxieties, etc. (speaking of which, is it possible that my 3-year-old already has an anxiety disorder? We joke that he's going to grow up to become Woody Allen...).

Does anyone out there have any insight on very early readers? Are there any good educational options out there (noting that I'm currently in southern California)?

Thank you!