I could vent with you. I did social sciences research on federal contracts and drew maps for a major newspaper before I became a teacher in the same year that No Child Left Behind was enacted. Part of the response to that federal act has been a movement to replace professional, experienced teachers with fresh college graduates (e.g. Teach for America) and highly scripted curricula.

A friend of mine who entered the field at the same time as me used to complain about the "Success for All" curriculum. He wore a timer on his belt because the program required him to spend exactly ten minutes on vocabulary, even if it took ten minutes to get all the kids settled down with the vocabulary materials in front of them and all pencils sharpened and ready to go. I imagine all of the students were learning from exactly the same vocabulary. I believe he left the teaching profession after a few years.

Up to this point, it has been the low-performing schools in low-income areas that have been afflicted with these short-sighted measures for the most part. But by 2014, any public school that is not achieving 100% grade-level proficiency in reading and math will be considered a failing school under the original NCLB.