oh tell me about it! Butter started kinder being able to read Dr Seuss and the teacher was going to the 2nd grade to get her books by the end of the year. She's in 3rd now, with a WIAT reading/comprehension of a high schooler. She scored perfect on the Language Arts protion of the state end of year test last year. And even though we are in a home study program where she can read what she wants now, the teacher even admitted she wasn't sure yet what we would do...we will have a meeting with the principal and school psychologist when we get back.

The school will likely give you push back, claiming your son isn't comprehending (that's what they tried to tell me) or that he will somehow get "something" from reading in a group with his peers. Go for an assessment, but be prepared for the school to even ignore it's own results. I think the best you can do is let him read whatever he wants/needs at home and take hime to the public library for more...

OT-Where do schools get off not letting kids take any book they want out of the library? To me, that is a serious problem, that they would limit my kids' choice like that frown

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...