I feel a burning need to defend my profession- sorry if I offend anyone.

Sadly, we are moving in the "robot" direction in my district as well. You are right, lucounu, it is terrible to teach under those conditions. Creativity, differentiation, trying to really know and reach my students, all gone because politicians, parents, and the average Joe know more about teaching than I do...

I hold two Bachelor's degrees, one in Biology and one in secondary education- yes a double major. I could work in a lab if I want to. I hold a Master's degree in school administration and am starting my doctorate... I'm working very hard to get OUT of the teaching profession, because I'm hoping to move into higher ed. Education reform was designed to get rid of bad teachers. The powers that be might want to consider the dedicated, qualified teachers that are getting out as well...

Consider this: Those of us who are the most highly qualified and educated can easily find something else to do. We will most likely be treated as professionals in another field. I haven't worked this hard and dedicated my life to children to be insulted. I know there are lousy teachers out there. However, I do get tired of teachers being lumped into one category, and I get tired of the profession as a whole being attacked. For every crappy teacher, there are dozens of good ones doing our best every day.

I'm sure nearly everyone can think of a teacher who made a difference in their lives. And I do think I know an awful lot about how kids learn, much more than the "methods of varying degrees of wackiness." Just saying... That level of disrespect is the reason that I, and many other dedicated professionals are getting out.