Thanks all - and DeHe, I appreciate "more ire" Ha! Yes, I suppose he can read what he wants to at home - which is good. They absolutely will not let him read anything he wants at his school - they think it is damaging. They use some kind of "controlled reader" system - first read all of the -at ending books, then read all of the -ed ending books etc... god forbid you skip straight to silent e. Your reading will be permanently and irreparably damaged. Already reading at 5th grade level? Better go back to make sure you did not skip over the "ing" books - need to be sure all of the holes are filled. Ugh.
Yes twogiftgirls - I should probably brace myself for the "socialization is what is really most important at this age" conversation followed by the "doing things that are too easy will help boost his self-esteem" conversation. Oh what fun.

Fortunately, there is a program at our library where you can sign up to read to dogs... this might be a good option - at least the dogs will not care what he reads.