My DD8 is similar to yours in that she is more mathy, reads above grade level, and is visual spatial. She is in 4th Grade (grade skipped K) and is now +2 in Math (5th Grade). She is a very talented piano player, and prefers to compose and add her own personality twists to most piano pieces. She memorizes pieces after playing them once or twice.

DD has read since she was 3 years old, but preferred books with pictures until about a year ago. (I was told it was an age thing by her teachers.) She had excellent fluency, but had some comprehension problems, which may be caused by the fact that she was sheltered, but most of it was because no one ever took time to tell her what some words actually meant. Dictionary.com is now our best friend. Now when she reads, she either looks words up in dictionary.com (which will also pronounce the words correctly for her) and will ask what certain phrases or words mean. We also try to listen to her read out loud. This has resulted in a great improvement in her reading comprehension. The school tests show she is at an 8th grade reading level comprehension now.

Her writing came in slow and was very hard for her. It was basically sloppy at first and she didn't seem to care. She learned how to trace letters in Montessori school at age 3, but they did not work on the proper formation of the letters. Because she was grade skipped, her writing was not as pretty as some of her classmates and she never liked writing in her journal at school. Once we got a whiteboard at home with colored markers, she began to write and draw more, and her handwriting drastically improved. However, putting thoughts on paper tended to jump around, for she wrote things down as she thought of them and would not take the time to figure out how to build a story. Fourth Grade is a big writing year in our school, and I've seen a lot of progress this year.

Hope this helps.