Just had DD7's parent/teacher conference.

DD is more mathy, though reads above grade level, is visual spatial. Discussing reading strategies, because sometimes DD just reads through, without understanding some concept, just enjoying the story. And her writing is sloppy and she doesn't try too much in her writing work.

Creatively, she composes, she has choreographed different dances to certain pieces when she was only 18 months old. Since I taught dance in college for extra money, I was impressed. But she doesn't try in writing.

On the way home, I was thinking. As a visual-spatial mathy kid, I was reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon. I remember only developing intellectually as a reader when I hit puberty and suddenly I was reading European literature. I remember my friends reading Harlequin and I started reading better stuff.

Anyway, we were working on strategies, with the teacher, to push her. DH is verbal and has always pushed his intellect with his reading. (Though I am the one that enjoys Proust and Thomas Mann...)

I would like to hear from others who have visual spatial mathy kids and how they are with reading and anyone else who has experience. Some of it is just sloppy, her writing is a mess. She sometimes tries, but mostly channelling ee cummings.