Originally Posted by CFK
Is she getting the social experience she wants from highschool right now? Is it enough to make all the negatives bearable?
No, she definitely isn't getting her social needs met @ high school now. She didn't want to attend the assigned high school b/c it tended toward a lower SES group with a number of troubled kids doing things she didn't want to be around. The accelerated classes were/are also full of about 20-25% of the school population with the assumption that they all had the same needs. She just felt like she didn't fit, but there were a few really bright kids with whom she did have rapport.

The current school draws from a more educated, well off community. She and I hoped that she'd find more like minds there, but she doesn't seem to have. Again 20%+ of the kids are in pre-AP/accelerated classes and a lot of them seem to be entitled rich kids with poor work ethic. There doesn't seem to be any greater of a population of gifted kids either, unfortunately. She's lonely.

I was just thinking about this. She isn't a one in 1,000 kid. With a kid like her, I'd expect there to be at least a good sized handful of similarly able kids, yet she frequently winds up in a spot where she just seems a lot more "out there" than the large majority of the other kids in her peer group. I don't know why that is. It may be a personality thing as much as anything, but if I could find a way to find her a peer group of other HG kids, that would make all of the difference.