Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
For me one of the key variables would be how bad the situation was for my child. If it was "gee could be more challenged" I wouldn't move for that. If it was "gee I wonder how she's going to make it through high school without self harm" then yes, I'd move for that.
I worry that we may be a bit closer to the second of your statements than the first, unfortunately, although she's being a trooper and trying. I am trying to get her to explore whether things may improve in future years if she does stay at this hs, though.

Perhaps before you get too far into trying to think through the scenarios it would be good to go for a really thorough visit to the UW program. For sure I would really look at the curriculum and environment for the first year and make sure that's a good fit.
We will have to do that if we are willing to consider this. I believe that their scheduled visits are in January. I don't want to waste time visiting if we wouldn't consider moving, though, so I'm approaching from both ends... would we move and will this program fit. The director did say that they, too, expect about five hours of homework/night the first year, which is a drawback, but I don't know.

Perhaps this has already been discussed but would something like PEG or a high school boarding program be an option? In some ways that's less radical of a change and in some ways more of one.
We've certainly thought about it. I'm feeling that, emotionally, it would be better for her to have me around for a few more years. She and I are very close and I think that she needs that stability to lean on right now.