Originally Posted by PipersMom
So, at our meeting this year, it was decided dd(10,AS/GAD) should try 6th grade math on the computer. She's already accelerated in English & Science, and is generally more of a "humanities" type of girl, but we decided to give it a trial.

Much to my surprise, she's actually doing pretty well with it until she gets to the quizzes. Each one is 10 questions and the program allows 60 min to complete.(Education2020 program.)She's whizzing through the labs and pretests with normally 90-100%s, gets to the quizzes and usually misses at least 2.

I have read your description of your daughter in this, and other posts and nodded my head. My highly verbal daughter sounds a lot like your daughter in many ways.

DD15 is inconsistent in math. She can get all the homework 100%, and get a D on the test, all because of "silly" errors. This has actually gotten worse as the math has gotten more complicated over the years. I am in the process of really trying to figure this out, but our working hypothesis is weak working memory (maybe compounded by ADD) and just enough test anxiety that her WM starts to shrink. She came up with the idea of covering up all the questions with blank paper except for the one she's working on. I think it keeps her from getting distracted/overwhelmed.

ps -- dd is the most buoyant, happy child. I would never have guessed that she was anxious about anything, until she told me how she "self-talks" during math tests. Yikes.

Last edited by herenow; 10/10/11 07:08 AM.